Lyman Eagle’s forced 2nd shut out of season

Eagle Gage Neilson goes up to block the ball in the game with Thermopolis last weekend. COURTESY PHOTO/LHS

LYMAN — The Lyman Eagles football team shut out the Thermopolis Bobcats last Saturday on the Eagle Turf. 28-0.

This proved to be the Eagles second shut out in a row as they also rolled over the Kemmerer Rangers the week before.

The Eagles controlled the game from the beginning and put the claws to the Bobcats. The Bobcats entered the game near the bottom of the conference and weren’t any big threat to the Eagles as the Eagles have rebuilt and are a much stronger power on the field. LHS head coach Dale Anderson has repeatedly talked about the rebuilding of the team. Anderson said, prior to last week’s game, said the Eagles didn’t have a lot of depth with linebackers, but the players had improved and were getting better every week.

The Eagles along with Mountain View are in the top two spots of the 2A West as Mountain View has no conference loss and Lyman has one. In the latest WyoPreps coaches and media polls, Lyman is solidly in second with the the Buffalos in first and Upton-Sundance and Torrington No. 3 and No.4.

The Eagles are shooting to claim one of the play off games at the end of this month. Big Piney, Cokeville and Lovell have 3-2 conference records, and this week’s play could affect the game.

The Eagles step into the Pinedale Wrangler arena today to compete on the gridiron. The Eagles enter the fray with a 4-1 conference record, and the Wranglers enter with a 1-4 conference record.

In the last week’s game against the Bobcats, the Eagles had the opening kick off and the Bobcats returned the ball to the 32-yard line. Eagle Joseph Turner three the first tackle and ended the Bobcats move down the field. Next up, Thermopolis’ Jackson Jensen caught a pass on this drive and carried to near the goal line so the ball was at first and goal. The Eagles held, and the Bobcats had to turn over the ball.

Back on the field in the second, the Bobcats sacked Lyman’s quarterback, and Lyman ended up having to punt. The ball was in the Eagles’ possession the middle of the third quarter. Lyman tried to power up through the middle, which resulted in Preston Brewer carried the ball to the Bobcats 35-yard line by driving down to the right side.

On the first action of the fourth, a flag on the Eagles for moved the Eagles back to the 25-yard line. Multiple flags sent the Bobcats sent them back, and back on the field. They finally were able to drive and regain the yardage but were unable to sustain the drive to cross the goal line.

As the rest of the fourth quarter played out, neither team could post a score, but the Lyman Eagles walked away with the win, 28-0.


Video News
More In Sports